Contributors

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Handling Life: A Life Long Journey

Life is hard.  Life is crazy.  Life is unpredictable.

Sometimes handling life is simply survival and other times, you feel like you are kind of on top of it.  I find that with my children still being fairly young, even when I go on vacation, I come back more tired than when I left.  Life has no vacation.  Life is always happening no matter where we are.  At work?  Life happens.  At home? Life happens.  At school? Life happens.  In Cincinnati? Life will still happen.  There is no place we can hide and no way to convince it to wait a minute.  It takes practice, but you can feel more often like you are handling life rather than being handled.

Regular everyday, mundane life is something that we forget to cherish.  We forget that pouring over budget numbers for the coming month means that we have an income that is probably greater than most of the rest of the world.  When you look through your calendar and realize that there is no you time for the next three days means you probably have a job and a busy family and there are many folks who can only dream about that.  This is the kind of life that we can prepare for, the expected, the ordinary.

You can build a solid budget so you don't have to be one of the way too many who spent more than they brought in last year.  Building a budget is not rocket science.  Take how much money you make in a month and subtract your expenses.  If your number is less than zero, you have a problem.  Figure out what you don't need to buy that month until you can get to zero.  Boom!  Budget!  I also would suggest finding a Financial Peace University Class near you.  It is an incredible program that will turn your money life right side up.  Google it.  Find it.  Change yourself.

I have on my phone, a calendar.  I have it tied to my Google Calendar.  Anything I put there goes to my phone.  It let's me know 30 minutes early that an event is starting.  I don't have to miss out on any more important meetings, birthdays, events, happenings, box socials, or anything else.  Calendars are a phenomenal thing where you can take the predictable, ordinary, and expected parts of your life and be prepared for them.

You can also set goals.  Goals are specific things you want to accomplish in a concrete amount of time.  You can put that on the Calendar too!  I have family goals, relationship goals with my wife, triathlon goals, financial goals, social goals, work goals and probably more goals.  If they were not some where easy to find, I wouldn't keep up, so I put them on the calendar.  Goals are an easy way to keep yourself on track.  You can see, very literally, all of the baby steps and you can watch your hard work pay off.  Sometimes though, goals have to be altered, calendars need changing and budgets need an overhaul.  Sometimes life is unpredictable.

Life is known for throwing curve balls.  Just when you feel like you have a handle on things, the handle breaks.  Just when you feel like you are getting on your financial feet, your car breaks down.  Just when you feel like you are emotionally a little more stable, trigger.  Just when you feel like things are looking up, crash.

Life is not predictable, no calendar will get you ready for the unthinkable.  Carson was not lost on a schedule.  I didn't have it penciled in.  I wasn't prepared and I sure wasn't ready.  There are about 3 weeks of my life that I can only remember bits and pieces of because things were crazy and life was too real.  Death isn't the only curve ball.  Laid off, fired, cancer, illness, injury, car accident, there are a million different ways for life to surprise us and it seems like we dread the negatives more than we want to wait for a positive.  Negatives impact us in a major way and there is no real way around it.  If we don't get any major positive unexpecteds, our life simply trucks on at status quo.

The only way we have to prepare for these is by building a relationship with Jesus Christ.  Some of you don't want to hear it and some of you feel like you have been burned before, but I am for real.  Getting your spiritual life in order will do greater things for you than any other change you could possibly make.  Just like any other change though, it will take practice.  I would invite you to start with a gratitude journal.  Take 5 minutes each day and simply write about 5 things you are thankful for and where they came from.  This is a great place to start.  

See you next week, until then, pray like it depends on GOD and work like it depends on YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment