Contributors

Saturday, January 7, 2017

Panic in the Club and Christmas

Christmas was here.

We have a deal made with my family.  We go see them on Thanksgiving and everyone comes to our house for Christmas.  It is busy and chaotic and fun and everything.  

Let me go back to the week before Christmas.  On Sunday night, our oldest was sick.  He had a stomach ache and a mild fever.  That is not usually an issue for me, but he was up moaning and groaning about every 35 minutes or so.  His mother dealt with him the first time, but then she fell asleep and it became my job.  Again, not a big deal, I am a father, but I am a father who can handle whatever I need to handle.

So, I fed him some tums and sent him back to bed.  As he lay in bed, I stood there watching.  He was doing a little bit of writhing and a lot more moaning and groaning.  He very suddenly went silent.  In my head, this was a good thing, but in my heart, I could not get past a feeling of panic.  When it stopped so abruptly, I began to jump to nasty conclusions about why he had stopped making noise.  It took every part of me to not shake him to make sure he would wake up.  I stopped and listened to him breathe.  His chest still rising and falling, in and out, inhale and exhale.  Sounds and motions that only alive humans make.  Praise God.

This is a panic that is reserved for members of the club.  One of the perks of membership I suppose.  A feeling of overwhelming panic when things are not even crazy at all.  Great.  No doubt you will understand.  

Christmas came!  This year I noticed that Jesus is represented more than people realize or would probably care to admit.  Every wreath, every light, every goofy blow-up Santa, it is all a reminder of Jesus and the hope that He brings.  I stopped to think if everyone was thinking about a Christ child when they were putting up their lights, hanging their stockings, and baking unbelievable goodies.  I don't think that was on everyone's minds, but it all sent me straight back to the Son.  

Every Christmas decoration, song, movie and whatever else, made the message of hope clearer.  Jesus is not leaving us anytime soon and He is walking with us and caring for us in ways we can't even comprehend.  When we let Him, Jesus is an amazing leader and shepherd.  

No comments:

Post a Comment