Contributors

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Get Unstuck; You Can Beat The Plateau!

Getting stuck in grief is a real thing.  What do I do when I feel stuck?  Try something totally new.  I do something that I have never done.  This week I am being a vegetarian for the first time in my life, ever... ever.  I really like to eat things that used to eat.  They are really tasty. So, here is my week as it were:

I went to the grocery store yesterday.

Before we go to the grocery store I make a meal plan and build a list.

Saturday, I decided that we would have a vegetarian week.  Why?  It sounds interesting and I want to see how my body reacts.  That's all.

Sunday:
So far so good.  I made some bars that are called superfood breakfast bars or something like that. They are full of Pumpkin Seeds, Oats, and all sorts of good for you type stuff.  They are OK, I had a couple for breakfast.  Kind of a change from the ham, eggs and cheese I usually have.  Feeling good though.  We will see how my bike ride goes tonight.

Bike ride went really well, wasn't overly tired or anything.  I have to admit that was kind of a surprise!  I didn't have any meat cravings or anything, it was a pretty chill day, we made some black bean tacos for lunch.  They were really fantastic!

Monday:
Back to Eggs and toast for breakfast.  This is standard because I always eat the same thing!  No reason to waste time trying to choose.  I hate when I feel like I have wasted time trying to choose something like that. And the superfood bars weren't great.  Lots of fruit this morning.  It was all good and tasty!

First test.  Home for lunch.Uncle Ben's whole grain rice packet and some fresh veggies.  I usually have a chicken breast with my rice packet at lunch, so I am being tempted for sure.  Not sure that I ate enough.  Uh Oh.  Lots of snacks through the afternoon.

Back on the bike again tonight, CRUSHED my work out!  I have been adding Tabata sets to almost all of my workouts for the last couple weeks.  I now keep the trash can close, because one of these days I am going to need it.

Tuesday:
I had my eggs and toast.  I was good.  I had rice for lunch with the left over black bean taco filling mixed in.  Was mostly satiated all afternoon, had some carrots and peas in the afternoon as well.

Fajitas were for dinner.  I screwed that up.  The kids ate taco bell and I tried to choke down the veggies for the fajitas.  I accidentally ate a piece of the chicken after I made it for the rest of the family.  Totally just a cooking reaction to see how it tasted.  I always taste the food I make!  Oh well.  It's all good.  No major cravings though, still rocking and rolling!

Wednesday - Friday:
MEAT! NO MEAT! That is about how my brain has been working.  There were people and meals and workouts and all sorts of stuff.  If this was a blog about being a vegetarian, I would tell you more... It's not.

I did something different for a week.  I focused really hard on something that wasn't my grief.  I focused on eating vegetables.  I guess, I focused more on NOT eating meat.  Whatever.

The idea is that if you are stuck, if grief has you pinned and you can't seem to get around it through your daily regulars, do something that isn't regular.  It may work, it may not work.  What it will do is help shift your focus, and give you a small win when you accomplish a short term goal!  I never thought I would be vegetarian for a meal, let alone a week.  This is new territory for me.

I knocked down a goal, I flexed my discipline muscle and accomplished something.  Now I feel pretty good about myself!  So, I got out of the norm and got an ego boost.  Hooray!  Now, I can return to life as normal, or I can take what I learned and incorporate something positive into my new normal.

Get unstuck.  Pray like it depends on God and work like it depends on you!  See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment